Login failed – Error 18456 locally on SQL Server – no problems remotely

By tom on August 24th, 2012

This week I had to troubleshoot an issue where a user couldn’t connect with his management studio on the SQL server itself, but had no issues from remote.

In a remote desktop session on the SQL server, following error came up:

Logging into the SQL server from another server/workstation went without problems.

The errorlog showed following entries:

After some research, we found that the user was in the windows administrators group and in SQL the builtin\administrators group was given sa access (I know, certainly not a best practice, but this is not a server we manage/installed/configured, so don’t blame the messenger)

UAC was enabled on this server and apparently when you logon with an administrator of the machine, UAC ‘protects’ the (mis)usage of the administrator accounts/groups.

2 workarounds were possible:

  • either give the account explicit rights within SQL
  • or start the management studio as an administrator (right-click, run as administrator)

 

Tom

Error while installing SQL 2008: Wait on the Database Engine recovery handle failed

By tom on August 19th, 2011

I recently had a strange error when installing a slipstreamed installation of SQL 2008 SP2:

The summary didn’t give a clear explanation:

Overall summary:
  Final result:                  SQL Server installation failed. To continue, investigate the reason for the failure, correct the problem, uninstall SQL Server, and then rerun SQL Server Setup.
  Exit code (Decimal):           -2068643839
  Exit facility code:            1203
  Exit error code:               1
  Exit message:                  SQL Server installation failed. To continue, investigate the reason for the failure, correct the problem, uninstall SQL Server, and then rerun SQL Server Setup.
  Start time:                    2011-08-17 11:08:48
  End time:                      2011-08-17 12:22:59
  Requested action:              Install

 

So I took a look in the detailed setup log, more or less the same:

2011-08-17 12:23:01 Slp: Error result: -2068643839
2011-08-17 12:23:01 Slp: Result facility code: 1203
2011-08-17 12:23:01 Slp: Result error code: 1

 

Apparantly the SQL services have tried to start, and an ERRORLOG was generated:

2011-08-18 11:34:14.28 Server      Error: 17182, Severity: 16, State: 1.
2011-08-18 11:34:14.28 Server      TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0×80092004, status code 0×80. Reason: Unable to initialize SSL support. Cannot find object or property.

2011-08-18 11:34:14.28 Server      Error: 17182, Severity: 16, State: 1.
2011-08-18 11:34:14.28 Server      TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0×80092004, status code 0×1. Reason: Initialization failed with an infrastructure error. Check for previous errors. Cannot find object or property.

2011-08-18 11:34:14.28 Server      Error: 17826, Severity: 18, State: 3.
2011-08-18 11:34:14.28 Server      Could not start the network library because of an internal error in the network library. To determine the cause, review the errors immediately preceding this one in the error log.
2011-08-18 11:34:14.28 Server      Error: 17120, Severity: 16, State: 1.
2011-08-18 11:34:14.28 Server      SQL Server could not spawn FRunCM thread. Check the SQL Server error log and the Windows event logs for information about possible related problems.

 

After searching for this on the www, I found some references to a corrupt user profile for the account running SQL Services. I took a look at the profiles and it seemed that for this user, only a temporary profile was created. After looking at the account properties in AD it seemed that there was something weird with it, no user logon name was specified and the pre-windows 2000 logon name had a space at the end.

We deleted the account, re-created it, re-installed SQL and no problems anymore!